Sunday, May 9, 2010

A New Beginning

It isn't a new year, but it sure feels like a renewal for me. Every day is supposed to be a new day, a fresh start, when you decide again on achieving goals. Every morning is God's grace for us to come back to Him, if ever we go astray (if ever? we always do). But I suppose night after nights of sleep has turned dull for each and every one of us. A new morning isn't really new anymore. We've gone stale, and see every dawn as just the sun returning after a journey around the world.

I'm going to school to register myself for Form Six tomorrow.

Back in school, uniformed and rule-bounded. Back in school, where adults have to be greeted when passed and friends are everywhere. Back to canteen food. Back to homework, co-curricular activities, assemblies. And I actually look forward to it.

Things won't be exactly the same. The big difference is that, this time, I am a Sixth Former, the most senior of the entire student body. The highest posts of every club or society council will be filled by Sixth Formers. How much authority is in the hands of the Sixth Seniors? Especially when heading the prefect body?

I am not aiming to perfect or improve my leadership skills much. That will occur naturally, because as a Sixth Senior, I will be required to lead a lot of students in a lot of matters. My mum, who is very deep in the affairs of the Sixth Formers in KK High School, says that most of the teachers treat the new system for the Sixth Formers as an excuse to dump workload on them. I don't mind this much. It's flattering to be depended upon, and I know I'll be pleased that I can be so influential in the planning of many events, such as the school concert and Sports Day.

I do aim for a four flat, though. I really want to do my best academically this time.

I am not one of those people who sees academic excellence as everything. But I do acknowledge the fact that it counts as something, especially because most of the outside world sees it as a very important and telling aspect of an individual. Yes, you can make it big without a degree. Yes, you can achieve success without having straight As. But I am not one of those 'you' who have charisma, are business-minded, or very creative. And so, aside the pressure from my parents and my teachers, a pressure which is so small, I feel, compared to the one I give myself, I really do want that four flat for myself.

This is the rough sketch of my upcoming weekly schedule:

Monday- School till 3pm. Badminton or basketball. Shower, dinner. Study. Sleep.
Tuesday- School till 2pm. Badminton or basketball. Shower, dinner. Study. Sleep.
Wednesday- School till 5pm. Shower, dinner. Church.
Thursday- School till 3pm. Badminton or basketball. Shower, dinner. Study. Sleep.
Friday- School till 12pm. Activities. Youth at night.
Saturday- English class at 1pm to 3pm. Music practice till 5.30pm. Free time!
Sunday- Church. Free time.

Compare it with what I'd been living the past months:

Week- BLAH!

Free time basically means 'discipline examination time'. I cannot plan what I do during my free time, because what I have to do will differ a lot from time to time. So I will have to make choices, right there and then, whether I goof off, or I do what I'm supposed to get done. Including house chores.

After my piano examination in June/July, I don't plan to further my grade, whether or not I pass Grade 7. I don't plan to take up any other extra music classes. I do plan on learning a few more guitar chords.

Let's make this easy and categorize potential stuff into what I plan to do and what I don't plan to.

I plan to,

1. Get four flat.
2. Get an A for my co-curricular activities, especially in sports (I've noticed that Sports is the most important co-curricular in all those further studies applications I've filled)
3. Play the guitar until the ends of my fingertips are well and truly callused, as all guitarists' fingertips are.
4. Lose some weight. Or, lose A LOT of weight, so that the variety of dresses I can choose from will be wider. (All the ones I like seem to be made for the likes of Melissa & Daphne & Rowena)
5. Be prepared to say yes if Madam Yong asks me to be Mistress of Ceremony again for the annual school concert.
6. Apply to be a prefect.

I don't plan to,

1. Be too active in the co-curricular activities.
2. Perform in the school concert. (School-long dream, gone.)
3. Do anything that will not be worth the merit points it will get me in my co-curriculum card. Basically, only a few points or no black & white recognition? Forget it. (And if any adults still forces me to do it, I will whine and complain about it to mummy and mummy will do things.)
4. Attempt any writing of novels.
5. Take a part-time job (But only because parents don't approve and I can't fit it into my schedule. But otherwise, I'd love to earn my own money.)



Ah. But you know what they say. The best laid of plans can still go awry. Thankfully, I can surrender everything to God and not bear the burden and worries and troubles myself.

The next few days, have to go stationery shopping and uniform shopping. And, I have to start looking for my subject textbooks etc. I want to stop writing now, because Snow White is playing on Disney Channel. Cheers, and thank you for reading and caring enough to read till the end

Hurriedly signing off, Carmelia.

Feeling, happy about stationery shopping.
Thinking, no more internet time for me. But that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment